Children whose third birthday falls on October 31st or before October 31st of the current year are eligible to attend Nursery.
Nursery Curriculum Overview
The curriculum is designed to develop and support children's physical, cognitive, and socio-emotional growth through an eclectic approach that prepares young children for future academic success. Some of the target skills in the Nursery level:
Gross and Fine Motor Skills
- Manage gross motor movements with confidence
- Write letters of the alphabet and numerals independently using a comfortable tripod grip.
- Handle materials such as scissors, glue, crayons properly and effectively
Cognitive and Language Skills
- Language Arts
- Identify and recognize the form and sounds of the English alphabet
- Sight-read basic words such as I, am, is, are, the, etc.
- Read c-v-c words, and simple phrases and sentences.
- Show understanding of different concepts such as comparison (big-small, long-short, heavy-light, etc.)
- Identify and recognize numerals 0-20
- Rote count independently up to 30
- Count with 1-to-1 correspondence
- Skip count by 2s
- Add numbers with sum up to 10
- Social Studies
- Identify and recognize information about self, family, community, and the environment
- Mandarin (basic)
- Sing simple Mandarin songs
- Display competence in performing tasks for self such setting own snack on the table, washing own hands, putting on shoes independently, etc.
- Identify and recognize feelings, needs and wants, and communicate them appropriately
- Display a positive attitude towards school and learning